The rich, multicoloured marble and elegant lines of the St. Mark’s Basilica brightened by the sunlight, reflecting on the windows of Hotel Concordia, the only hotel in the city of the Doges directly in St. Mark’s Square, beside the Neo-classical See of the patriarch of Venice.
A building that has been accommodating Italian and foreign visitors to Venice for more than three centuries. The Beggiato family has been expertly running the hotel over three generations, adding its own tradition since the start of the 20th century when Mr. Tiberio Beggiato turned what was a small guesthouse into a renowned hotel. Ever since, the women of the Beggiato family have kept the family tradition alive, proficiently merging customs and innovation, tending to the premises as they tend to their homes.
In a canvas dating back to 1735, Michele Giovanni Marieschi, a Venetian view painter and theatre designer to the court of Saxony, provides an unusual perspective of St. Mark’s Square viewed from the Piazzetta dei Leoncini. In the background, the San Geminiano church (the great architect Sansovino was buried inside), destroyed in the 19th century by Napoleon to make way for the Napoleonic wing and, on the right, the age-old “La Rizza” inn, which got its name from an old game of chance.